Gqom is a genre of electronic dance music that originated in South Africa in the early 2000s. It is characterized by its use of heavy bass, fast-paced beats, and repetitive rhythms. It is often described as a subgenre of house music and it’s known for its raw and minimalist production style. Gqom music is often associated with Durban, a city in South Africa, where it first emerged and it’s considered as a cultural movement that reflects the city’s working-class culture. Some popular Gqom artists include:
- Distruction Boyz, a duo known for their hit songs and albums.
- DJ Maphorisa, a DJ and record producer known for his contributions to Amapiano, Gqom and house music.
- DJ Tira, a DJ and record producer known for his contributions to Kwaito and Gqom music.
- Busiswa, a singer and songwriter known for her contributions to the music genre of Gqom
- DJ Lag, a DJ and record producer known for his contributions to the Gqom genre
- Babes Wodumo, a singer and songwriter known for her contributions to the Gqom genre
These are some of the most popular and successful Gqom artists who are known for their contribution in the genre and have released multiple hit songs and albums that have been well-received by audiences both in South Africa and internationally. Gqom is a dynamic genre and new songs are released frequently,
Here are some popular Gqom songs:
- “Omunye” by Distruction Boyz
- “Madonsela” by DJ Maphorisa ft. Kwesta
- “Soweto” by DJ Tira ft. Joocy
- “Lalela” by DJ Maphorisa ft. DJ Raybel
- “iWalk Ye Phara” by DJ Maphorisa ft. Moonchild Sanelly
- “Gqi” by Busiswa ft. Dladla Mshunqisi
- “Ice Drop” by DJ Lag ft. Okzharp
- “Umngan’wami” by Babes Wodumo ft. Mampintsha
- “Amaketanga” by Spikiri ft. DJ Tira
- “Soweto Blues” by DJ Maphorisa ft. DJ Raybel ft. Kabza De Small
These are just a few examples, there are many other Gqom songs that are worth discovering. Gqom is a dynamic genre and new songs are released frequently, the songs mentioned here may be popular as of my knowledge cutoff and new popular songs may have released since.